I had found a recipe on pinterest (surprise, surprise) the other day and finally made it. It was REALLY easy and a pretty big hit, so I thought I’d pass along. As always, I made some changes from the original recipe.
I used whole wheat pasta and since I don’t have a lot of mouth’s to feed, I only used about 2.5 chicken breasts. I put them in the crock pot on high (they were frozen) for maybe 2 hours or so I think. I used 1 packet of Italian dressing seasoning, 4 oz. of cream cheese (half of the pack), 2 cans of cream of chicken soup and threw in some broccolli. Because I love cheese, I sprinkled some shredded cheese on top too. When that was all done, I shredded the chicken and I mixed it in with the whole wheat pasta and it was ready to go.
Posted in Recipes
- Tagged #recipe, brocooli, cheese, chicken, crock pot, crockpot, easy, italian, pasta, pinterest, whole wheat
We moved in about a year ago and have lots of plans for this place. The bad thing about this house was that NOTHING was updated. The good thing about this house was that nothing was updated. Don’t worry, you’re not seeing things, I meant to type it like that! Having a house with nothing updated meant that we could do things EXACTLY the way we want to! So with a recent fireplace make over (click here and here) and laying down pergo floors earlier this week and buying a few new items, we’re left with a brand new room and we seriously can not get enough of this room! Here is a refresher of what it was like before we moved in:
The first thing we did is paint when we moved in. I painted it a mustard tuscan color and after a year, I hated it. So, I repainted it colormatched by Glidden: Diverse Beige by Shermin Williams. Then we painted the baseboards “Swiss Coffee” and are slowly working on painting the doors. We redid our fireplace which really now is the focal point we can be proud of! Now, we can’t wait to have people over!
The wood flooring we chose is pergo’s highland hickory. I’m so in love with it that I rolled around it when it was put down. Literally. I wanted something that had grooves and resembled real wood but easier to take care of and this was the perfect choice for us. It looks and feels like real wood.
I got this rug for a steal thanks to Groupon. And with a toddler boy and two german shepherd mixes, I needed something durable. It came from Rug USA and they had a ton of fun and contemporary indoor/outdoor rug options and it’s pretty soft, considering it’s outdoor.
We’re so pleased with out this room came out. We have minimal changes to be done to this room and soon, I’d like to put in builtins next to the fireplace:
Anybody else have extreme makeovers of their own?
We have finally finished our fireplace makeover! Hurrah!!! A few weeks ago I posted how we tiled the fireplace (click here). So, let’s start and go over how we built the surround. We ripped out the wood below the mantle, luckily our mantle was built into the drywall. This may not always be the case so if you are going to do something similar, make sure the mantle was built into the drywall or be prepared to build a support beam. Since the sides have nothing to screw into, take a small block and screw it up into the mantle. Then that will give you something to screw the sides in. Do this to all sides and in the front of the mantle. Of course all sizes and measurements depend on how big your mantle is and how far you want to go out. the width of mine is 4 1/4 inches.
We used primed wood but the bigger piece wasn’t primed in the size we needed but I had primer on hand, so that wasn’t a big deal. Once the frame of the surround is all on you want to work on your “boxes”. Again, this all depends on what sizes you want.
We used a brad nail gun to put them in place:
And Ta-Da! The rest is all cosmetic work! I lightly sanded the pinewood and gave it about two or three coats of primer. Then I used wood filler and put it over all the holes from the brad nail gun. You just take a little and lightly spread it over the hole. Use the spackle knife to get it as flat as you can. It takes about 15 minutes to dry and then when it’s dry, you can sand over it to get it nice and smooth. Then I gave it all a coat of paint (I used swiss coffee).
And drum roll pplleeeaasseee……………..
This project was a lot of firsts for us; first make over, my first time tiling…And it doesn’t stop here! We just finished laying pergo floors in the family room and gave this room a huge make over! Stay tuned folks!
Posted in DIY CRAFT
- Tagged fireplace, fireplace makeover, how to, how to build fireplace surround, how to build mantle, how to tile, how to tile fireplace, makeover, pergo, tile, tiling